Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake, really?!

Okay, so I live in a very small town in Southeastern PA where nothing exciting ever happens.  When a tractor is stolen from a farm that is what makes the front page of the newspaper, that is how small the town is.  Oh, and we have horse and bugs that drive down our road, a road which isn't paved, it's just a layer of stones. 

So, now that you are laughing, let me tell you about my eventful day.

After going to visit with a lady from church to ensure that I was up to date on the sacrament of baptism, I came home, fed Nolan and we played for a bit.  When it was time for a nap he decided that fifteen minutes was all he needed.  For whatever reason, he woke up and would not go back to sleep.  I decided to sit on the couch with him and rock him to try to allow the tired baby to close his eyes. 

Just as he was nodding off, it happened.  The walls started shaking, the floor and couch were vibrating, and the glasses in my cabinets were rattling.  Earthquake??? No!  I immediately thought it was the washing machine because mine likes to jump which makes the floor shake.  Then I realized that I wasn't doing wash.  The dogs started to freak out and I looked outside.  My trash cans that were sitting at the end of the drive waiting for pickup were shaking also.  "No way", I thought. 

I called Brian and said, "You are going to think I am dumb, but I think I just sat through an earthquake."  He laughed at first, but when a buddy of his said that his wife called to report the same thing, he realized I was right.
An earthquake in PA, really?! 

I called my mom and told her that I just lived through an earthquake (not that what I felt was earth shattering, but still).  She thought I had lost my mind.  I explained what I felt and told her to ask at work. 

After getting on FB, I realized it really was an earthquake that I felt.  Wow!  Talk about crazy, this is not something that happens everyday.  Never in my life (31 years) have I actually "felt" an earthquake.  Well, today, at exactly four weeks old, Nolan felt his very first earthquake as I held him very close to me. 

No comments: